Sunday, June 12, 2011

I Happy Mama

I'm ready to let Tom go to daycare now. he's talking, he eats well and loves to be around other children. All along I have been the one pushing Aleck into letting Tom go to daycare. I've argued that he's an only child and he needs to be around other kids, he needs to do his own thing, I need to go back to work,blah blah blah , you know the whole spiel. Now the time has come for us to shop around and look into different places and find the right one for Tom. I'm panicking. I'm doing the back-splash. I'm worried. I've just finished reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult about a boy who was bullied and ostracized so much he snapped and shot out his high school Columbine style. Suppose I'm that parent who misses the signs and Tom is unhappy or tortured and I can't help him? What if something happens to him that I can't control and he's scarred for life? The list of horror scenarios can go on and on. OK , I know, it's a bit much, its only daycare not a war zone. I was sitting on the balcony with Tom enjoying the sun and killing bugs, nothing special just a mundane activity on an ordinary day. Tom looked up at me and said,
"Hey mom!"
"Hmm what is it Tom?" I asked.
"I happy mama."
"Yeah? how comes?"
"Nuttin' I happy."
That was it. that was our conversation. A simple declaration yet so profound. I know he'll be OK. He's happy.

3 comments: